Discover the Best Treats, Souvenirs, and Activities at the Iconic Marché de Noël
The Paris Christmas market, also known as the “Marché de Noël,” is a traditional Christmas market that takes place in various locations throughout Paris during the holiday season. The market typically runs from late November through early January.
At the Paris Christmas market, you can expect to find a variety of festive attractions, including:
Food and Drink
The food and drink at the Paris Christmas market are some of the main attractions of the event. The market offers a wide range of traditional French dishes, as well as seasonal treats and drinks that are perfect for warming up during the cold winter days. Here are some of the most popular food and drink items that you can enjoy at the Paris Christmas market:
- Vin chaud (mulled wine) – This is a classic Christmas drink popular throughout France during the holiday season. Mulled wine is made by heating red wine with spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and is usually served hot.
- Crêpes – Crêpes are a staple of French cuisine and are particularly popular at the Paris Christmas market. These thin, pancake-like treats can be filled with sweet or savoury ingredients, such as Nutella, cheese, or ham.
- Churros – Churros are a Spanish pastry that has become popular throughout Europe in recent years. These fried dough sticks are often dusted with sugar or cinnamon and can be dipped in chocolate or caramel sauce.
- Foie gras – Foie gras is a luxury food that is often served on special occasions in France. It is made from the liver of a duck or goose that has been specially fattened and is often served with bread or crackers.
- Raclette – Raclette is a traditional French dish that is particularly popular during the winter months. It consists of melted cheese typically served with potatoes, charcuterie, and other toppings.
Crafts and Gifts
The Paris Christmas market is a great place to find unique and handmade gifts and crafts that make for perfect holiday presents or memorable souvenirs from Paris. The market features a variety of vendors selling everything from handcrafted jewelry to traditional French toys. Here are some of the crafts and gifts you can expect to find at the Paris Christmas market:
- Handmade jewelry – Many vendors at the market offer beautiful and unique jewelry pieces, such as necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. You can find jewelry made from a variety of materials, including gold, silver, and semi-precious stones.
- Christmas ornaments – The market is filled with vendors selling handmade ornaments, including glass baubles, wooden ornaments, and even edible ornaments like gingerbread cookies.
- Toys and games – If you’re looking for a gift for a child, the Paris Christmas market is the perfect place to find traditional French toys and games, such as wooden puzzles, stuffed animals, and board games.
- Home decor – Many vendors offer home decor items like candles, pottery, and textiles, which can add a touch of French charm to your living space.
- Food and drink gifts – In addition to the delicious food and drink options available at the market, many vendors sell packaged food items that make for great gifts, such as artisanal chocolates, honey, and jams.
The festive decorations at the Paris Christmas market are an important part of the event’s charm and appeal. The market is transformed into a winter wonderland, with twinkling lights, festive decorations, and holiday-themed displays throughout, making it a perfect place to get in the holiday spirit.
Rides and Games
The Paris Christmas market offers a variety of rides and games that are perfect for families and children. These attractions add an extra element of fun and excitement to the market and will surely be a hit with visitors of all ages. Here are some of the rides and games you can expect to find at the Paris Christmas market:
- Ferris wheel – One of the most popular attractions at the market is the Ferris wheel, which offers stunning views of the city from above. The Ferris wheel is often decorated with twinkling lights and festive decorations, making it an unforgettable experience.
- Merry-go-round – Another classic ride at the market is the merry-go-round, which features beautifully decorated horses and other animals that go up and down as the ride turns.
- Bumper cars – For a more adventurous ride, visitors can try the bumper cars, which allow them to bump and jostle against other cars in a fun and safe environment.
- Arcade games – The market also features a variety of arcade games, such as basketball toss, ring toss, and balloon darts, where visitors can win prizes and compete against each other.
- Ice skating – In some years, the market includes an ice skating rink where visitors can rent skates and glide across the ice while enjoying the festive atmosphere.
Live Music and Entertainment:
The Paris Christmas market offers a variety of entertainment options that are perfect for getting into the holiday spirit. From live music to street performances, there is always something to see and enjoy at the market. Be sure to check out the entertainment schedule and plan your visit accordingly to make the most of your experience. Here are some of the entertainment options you can expect to find at the Paris Christmas market:
- Live music – Throughout the market, you can find live music performances featuring a variety of genres, including traditional French music, jazz, and pop.
- Street performers – The market is also filled with street performers, such as magicians, acrobats, and mime artists, who provide entertainment and delight for visitors of all ages.
- Christmas parades – Some years, the Paris Christmas market features festive parades with floats, dancers, and musicians, adding an extra level of excitement to the event.
- Puppet shows – Children will love the puppet shows that take place at the market, featuring colourful and imaginative puppets that bring classic Christmas stories to life.
- Ice sculpting demonstrations – In some years, the market features ice sculpting demonstrations by talented artists, who create stunning and intricate sculptures in front of the amazed crowds.
Overall, the Paris Christmas market is a great place to get into the holiday spirit and find unique gifts for loved ones while enjoying some delicious food and drink. Whether you’re there to shop, eat, or simply soak up the festive atmosphere, the Paris Christmas market is a must-see destination for anyone visiting the city during the holiday season.
Have you been to the Paris Christmas Market? How was your experience? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
PIN IT FOR LATER