Northumberland County is located on the northern shores of Lake Ontario, just over an hour east of Toronto. With an abundance of natural scenery, historic town centers, and delicious eateries, the area is becoming an increasingly popular tourist destination. Many of the things to do in Northumberland Country are within close proximity to one another, which makes it an ideal area to visit.
Read about the fantastic things to do in Northumberland County listed below to see for yourself!
If you’re looking to go further afield, check out my posts on the things to do in Peterborough and the Kawarthas, the things to do in Prince Edward County, the things to do in Eastern Ontario, and the things to do in and around the Ottawa area.
The Best Things to Do in Northumberland County, Ontario
- Sample Canada’s Best Burger at Olympus Burger in Port Hope
- Witness salmon and trout migrating up the Ganaraska River during the spring and fall
- Get to know the ‘kids’ at Haute Goat where you can join a goat yoga class or cuddle (the term used is shmurgle) baby goats
- Snap a selfie with Optimus Prime at the eclectic store, Primitive Designs
- Spend the day at Cobourg Beach, a fantastic sandy beach located adjacent to a shady park, a campground, and a playground with a splash pad
- Tour what is possibly Cobourgs oldest building, The Sifton-Cook Heritage Centre, to learn all about the history of the area and marvel at the 250ft operational Model Railway
- Enjoy a local theatre performance at The Concert Hall at Victoria Hall which first opened in 1860
- Sample butter tarts from The Dutch Oven and Burnham Family Farm Market, 2 of the 50+ stops along the Kawarthas Northumberland Butter Tart Tour
- Stroll along the Waterfront Trail to admire the boats in the harbour
- Pamper yourself at Canada’s largest destination spa, Ste. Anne’s Spa
- Tee off at the picturesque Shelter Valley Pines Golf Club
- Take a detour off the 401 at The Big Apple to enjoy yummy treats and free outdoor activities for the whole family
- Walk with an alpaca at the Old Mill Alpaca Farm
- Grab your binoculars and head to Presqu’ile Provincial Park during the spring and fall bird migrations
- Scuba dive among the shipwrecks in Brighton Bay
- Learn to SUP (short for stand-up paddleboarding) with GoActive
- Indulge your sweet tooth at Dooher’s Bakery, voted “The Sweetest Bakery in Canada”
- Discover Healey Falls, an off the beaten path cascading waterfall complete with a swimming hole
- Enjoy a musical performance in a stunning barn at the Westben Theatre
- Test your fear of heights at the scenic Ranney Gorge Suspension Bridge in Ferris Provincial Park
- Sample award-winning cheeses at Empire Cheese
- Buy bulk chocolate or gift baskets from World’s Finest Chocolate
- Marvel at a massive 27’ Toonie which was built in recognition of the local artist who designed the polar bear on the 2 dollar Canadian coin
- Sample a flight of beer in an 1878 Methodist Church at Church-Key Brewing
- Take the kids to Sandy Flat Sugar Bush and Pancake House, one of the most popular maple sugar bushes in the Bay of Quinte area
- Pack your tackle box for a day in Hastings, Canada’s Ultimate Fishing Town
- Bundle up for a day of ice-fishing on Rice Lake, one of Ontario’s best fishing lakes
With so many unique attractions and interesting things to do, I recommend spending an entire weekend, or even a whole week in Northumberland County. You’ll be glad you did!
PIN IT FOR LATER